Friday, December 21, 2007

MIS Final

    What separated this MIS class from all of the other Sy Syms classes is the concept of practicality. Being a finance major, I enjoy a good finance class (which are rare in Sy Sms), but in the end of the day, they are purely academic and hardly practical. In the real world, understanding the CAPM and bond valuations using time value of money will get you nowhere.

    This is in contrast to the INFF. In this class the ONLY subjects that were learned were practical and useful skills. We learned how to create spreadsheets and models on excel. We also spent time on powerpoint, and my favorite, we learned how to mail merge in Word. This class was more of a skills course and that's what I loved about it.

    We used a textbook, but the ikkur of the course was the time spent in the classroom. The textbook served as a review for what we did in class on Fridays.

    I was very lucky to have been proficient in excel before I came into this course, but I think that it is extremely important to have a course like this since excel is the most important program that is used in business today. Even with my prior ability in excel, this course really sharpened my skills and I feel that I have certainly grown in my abilities in excel.

    I would like to thank you, Professor Jorisch for always being a great guy. You are the sweetest and kindest professor that I have ever had. The best part about you is that you don't let your kind heart detract from your teaching. We learned more in this class than most courses yet we have the nicest teacher. In the future, I will never forget your efficiency through kindness. I'm pretty sure that you've inspired us all. You certainly inspired me.

Thank you!

Marc

No comments: